Home » Uncategorized » MAYA Blog

MAYA Blog

1. The MAYA theory is definitely one that is transcendent. It continuously tries to accommodate users by providing them with the most advanced design that they are able to accept. But, what they are able to accept will always change or in other words expand as time goes on and technology progresses. For example, with the concept of the “smart phone”, Apple slowly progressed and continues to create newer models of phones because society has adapted more skills and knowledge to use the phone. Apple created the phones based off of our present skills and mindset. The first phone started off very small with many buttons and gradually changed over time. If something like the iphone X was created in 2005, it would’ve scared many users and they wouldn’t of had much sales.

I don’t think the film industry has over optimized this theory. The theory has definitely been used with regards to the creations of movies because there has once been many successful movies with many adaptations or parodies that has been created based off of the first movies success. However, this is only a way to appeal to newer generations but I do not think this has happened enough for it to be considered overly optimized.

I don’t think there would be another great alternative to this theory. This theory provides people with something that is advance, but yet familiar as their able to comprehend it and still provide them with a level of “surprise”. It encompasses ways to engage people and make them feel comfortable. Its overall an effective strategy when trying to launch an idea or sell something.

2. Nice work, Akilia. I have a question for you to consider: how do you think you could apply this theory to the canon that you’re building? Do you think that MAYA is applicable to canon formation, and how? I think it would be fruitful for you to consider this in the context of your paper, as well as what we’ve been working on in class.

• Thank you Professor, I do think I can use this article in my paper. The women who I am discussing are not the first to write songs and poetry about womanhood, they did follow a format that was familiar, this is how they were able to relate to their audience. Yes MAYA is applicable to the canon formation because canons are works that transcend. Therefore, audiences from various generations can read and interpret the messages that the authors portray and apply it in their studies or daily lives.

3. Akilia, your explanation on the M.A.Y.A theory and concepts like, the mere expose effect and optical newness was through and provided further clarity. I definitely agree that the M.A.Y.A theory prevails throughout time and takes different names while maintaining the same objective. I would consider the MAYA theory as transcendent and useful as a tool for success. Many industries use this as a tool in order to gain momentum and attraction to certain products. The use of this theory can be seen within the retail industry, specifically in their advertising. Companies use this method in marketing to highlight certain products and appeal to consumers. For example, In Gap Inc. commercials, the individuals portrayed modelling clothes are always portrayed in varying backgrounds, sizes and ages in order to portray that anyone can wear and look good in their clothes. And like Loewy’s idea, their products, logo and advertising remain changing over time in order to draw the attention of consumers and remain modern.
    The film industry has over optimized this theory in order to keep film interesting and relevant. Before films are produced, individuals consider how an audience would perceive or relate to this film. The familiarity of a particular film opposed to another films is greatly considered. The MAYA theory is effective and depicted within Tyler Perry’s, Madea films, like Madea Goes to Jail, Madea’s Family Reunion and Diary of a Mad Black Woman. These movies all provide a sense of familiarity through the persistent portrayal of the character Madea while focusing on the concept of family. These movies also provide something surprising through Madea’s wild comments and attitude. However, the familiarity and surprising aspects of films can be also be attributed to the continuous creativity of film writers/makers and changes of environment and community.
    An alternative to this theory would be to dismiss the MAYA theory entirely by attempting to sell that which is not familiar or surprising. This alternative is effective today, especially within industries like film and literature. Both of which has taken on similar formats containing a climax and denouement. Therefore, audiences are expectant of how the story will develop and possibly end. This alternative would be effective because everyone is equipped with a sense of knowing and developing assumption. Aligning these works with the popular assumption would provide the audience with a sense of fulfillment due to their accuracy of the plot or ending.

4. Akilia, your explanation on the M.A.Y.A theory and concepts like, the mere expose effect and optical newness was through and provided further clarity. I definitely agree that the M.A.Y.A theory prevails throughout time and takes different names while maintaining the same objective. I would consider the MAYA theory as transcendent and useful as a tool for success. Many industries use this as a tool in order to gain momentum and attraction to certain products. The use of this theory can be seen within the retail industry, specifically in their advertising. Companies use this method in marketing to highlight certain products and appeal to consumers. For example, In Gap Inc. commercials, the individuals portrayed modelling clothes are always portrayed in varying backgrounds, sizes and ages in order to portray that anyone can wear and look good in their clothes. And like Loewy’s idea, their products, logo and advertising remain changing over time in order to draw the attention of consumers and remain modern.

5. Akilia ,
    This was a great video blog, not only were you clear and informative but you stayed relative. I enjoyed how you went into Raymond Loewy’s professional life as long as personal in order to get the full dynamic on his creativity. I was so interested to find out Loewy was in part responsible for Exxon logos, grocery items, and the Greyhound Bus logo. I use the Greyhound bus every summer to go to Six Flags but I never thought of who invented it.
    The mere exposure effect as the preference for familiarity is so common. People do not like what they do not know or what they are not used to seeing. I think Loewy’s theory MAYA or Most Advanced Yet Acceptable is so interesting. I use Spotify everyday and to know he embarked on the consumerism aspect on this app. The Discover Weekly portion on Spotify that recommends songs you like based on what you have listened to is so genius and to know MAYA help him create it only show his large mark in conduserism.
    You also bring up the important idea of optimal newness, how something that is new in one era can be seen as old once that generation grows up and a new generation evolves. Home rental companies or taxi services have always been around but now we have renamed them to things such as Uber or AirBNB and that is amazing you pointed that out. Good job!